Getting to Montpellier
- Regular Flights
Getting to Montpellier airport (MPL) for a reasonable fare usually involves flying with Air France or an affiliated airline (KLM / SkyTeam), via Paris (or sometimes Lyon).
- Low-cost airlines
Ryanair flies direct to Montpellier from Frankfurt-Hahn (four flights per week, in the evening on Sundays, Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays). It also operates direct flights from Brussels-Charleroi, Leeds and Birmingham.
Plane + Train
- There are 5 conveniently direct TGV trains per day connecting Paris Charles-de-Gaulle airport with Montpellier (in 4 hours).
- Lyon Saint-Exupery airport (LYS) is well-connected by rail shuttle (Rhonexpress ; 4 per hour, 30 minutes duration) to Lyon Part-Dieu train station, from which there are frequent TGV trains to Montpellier (12 per day, 1h50 travel time).
- Marseille Provence airport (MRS) has train connections to Montpellier in less than 2 hours via the nearby "Vitrolles Aeroport" train station, although these are not very frequent. Further train options are available by first transferring to the central Marseille Saint-Charles train station (e.g. by bus, 8.5 euros, 25 minutes, every 20 minutes). From there, 16 trains per day reach Montpellier, mostly in less than 2 hours.
- Toulouse Blagnac airport (TLS) is connected by bus shuttle (5 euros, 20 minutes subject to traffic, every 20 minutes) to the central Toulouse Matabiau train station, from which there are 12 trains per day taking about 2 hours to Montpellier.
- There are 12 direct TGV trains per day from Paris to Montpellier ( 3h20 travel time), departing from Gare-de-Lyon train station. If you arrive by train in Paris, do allow enough time for the change of train station.
- Schedules, availability and prices can be obtained from the SNCF Web site (in French, or note language flags in bottom right), although this can be a bit slow. Quick and quite complete information on schedules is available (in English, German, French...) from the Swiss railways Web site.
Arrival in Montpellier
- From Montpellier airport, the easiest and fastest option is to take a taxi ( 30 euros, 20 minutes depending on the exact destination). There is also a shuttle which takes you (in 15 minutes) to the "Place de l'Europe" tram stop, from which you can continue by tram.
- All trains to Montpellier arrive at the central (Montpellier Saint-Roch) train station, which is within walking distance of the city center and served by both tramway lines.